12 October 2010

Candied pecans

Amazing how much adding candied pecans to a salad really livens things up. I'll give credit to the goat cheese which is turning out to be the unsung hero of the kitchen thus far.
The spinach salad I made was pretty standard - grilled chicken (salt, pepper, cayenne, splash of maple syrup), spinach, strawberries and goat cheese. In hindsight I guess I could've thrown on some diced purple onion.
"Candy"-ing the pecans was simple enough. I just mixed in a tablespoon or so each of olive oil and balsamic vinegar with 1/4 cup (ish) of brown sugar into the frying pan on medium heat. Constantly stirred until the sugar had melted, and it was bubbling assertively. Threw in a cup of pecans and tossed it around to really let the mixture coat 'em up. Maybe 4 minutes for the initial mixture and another four to sweeten the pecans. Gotta make sure it's evenly coated. I then spread it out on some wax/parchment paper and let them dry for about half an hour. Make sure to separate the pecans individually because by the time they're done cooking they're already sticking together.

No comments:

Post a Comment