28 January 2013

London calling


Last night, I felt a bit unnerved as I tried to fall asleep, knowing I was going to London the next day. I was trying to think of how to make the most of my trip, but also wanted it to be a unique experience. I was also kind of struggling with where to start. I'd been to London before and knocked down most of the big hotspots (Tower Bridge, Big Ben, the Palace, etc etc) so I wanted something … different. 
Sometimes I struggle in giant cities because the vast majority of things to do encompass eating, watching or shopping. All of these activities are of course unique to each city someone visits but seeking these activities ad nauseum can get a bit mundane. And expensive. 
Fortunately, London has a plethora of unique activities I could pursue. And really, the opportunities are limitless because as the saying goes, "Tired of London, tired of life". Of course, as I said above, a lack of limit in choices can be paralyzing in itself so I've thought hard to have a few goals over the next few days:

- find different ways to learn about parts of London's history (walking tour? London fire? one or both world wars?)
- see Tate Modern (I missed it last time)
- find an interesting place to read
- do a "day trip" exploring one area/borough/neighbourhood in particular

On deck today - I have been craving sushi for a long time. Let's find an affordable place to see. And I'll check out one of the National History Museum (there is an exhibit of the best wildlife photos of the year) or the National Portrait Gallery, which is something slightly different and should be a good learning opportunity. 

London ho! 

1 comment:

  1. Kathy Johns29/1/13 02:06

    Hi josh - Sarah visited the wildlife photography exhibit and loved it. There's a great coffee table book to go with it.

    ReplyDelete