12 August 2012

Salmon

I was wandering around the market today and noticed an apparently good deal on salmon at one of the fish stores. It was for "wild chum salmon". I asked the seafood man behind the counter what the difference was between this and other species, he just mumbled something about it "just being another species". Thinking it was no big deal, I shrugged and bought a sizeable amount and feeling smug about scoring what I thought was a bargain.

Not familiar with the "chum" salmon, I google image searched it on my way home and discovered that...
I had just bought the salmon clan's ugly cousin! Who could love such a creature! My further research found that it has a milder flavour, is more lean and is often used in drying. Fair enough, but seriously how hideous are these guys?

I felt so duped.

No comments:

Post a Comment