15 August 2012

The maps (continued) and the next vacation...

It took a long time for me to decide what to put up on my bare walls. I figured there would be a number of days when I'd just be staring into space and it should be something I enjoy looking at, but complex enough that I don't get bored seeing it every day, AND something that can get my mind going. You could say... something to promote momentum. Figurative, literal or otherwise. I chose maps.

Exhibit A: Star map
If you know me, you know I love space - its immensity, mystery and the way it will unconditionally humble anyone. It's tangible but is incomprehensible. I think this strange balance (or imbalance?) of the known and the unknown of the cosmos have always intrigued me... hence the reason for this star map.



Exhibit B: "interactive" world map
This one plays a number of roles. It's in my bedroom, and is the first thing I see each time I wake up in the morning. The pins on it indicate places outside of Canada I've visited. I'll probably add the ones in Canada eventually when I get those small pins designed for use on maps, but for now the thumb tacks will do. I also intend to add photos of my friends in different places of Canada, and eventually the world. It'd be interesting to track changes to it over the next few months and years and see how it evolves. I hope to get it a lot more busy, and be forced to buy many more pins...

... which leads me to my next point, the next vacation has been decided. Plane ticket purchased via the recent seat sale on Porter. There's a bit of adventure, food, city and outdoors all mixed together -- New England. Hopefully I'm there just before the mad rush for the autumn but in time still to see some evidence of the season change. Should be awesome. I'm pumped.

No comments:

Post a Comment