01 November 2012

Back to the rural


It's kind of odd being back in Hinton where I finished my rural rotation about a year and a half ago. The reason I say so is because it's like this place was frozen in time when I left, and it's almost exactly the same since I came back. Granted, it wasn't that long ago but it's still kind of a bizarre feeling. The most dramatic change I noticed was one of the doctor's hair is a bit more salt than pepper and one of the hospital's walls are a slightly darker grey colour.
It also makes me hope that it seems that I've improved in my clinical training, judgment and management skillz. I may not know prenatals like the back of my hand as I did before but I'm hoping everything else has gained at least +1 EXP.
The one new thing I have enjoyed is the teaching role I've taken with the medical students. It's something I've already noticed I enjoy doing, and it adds something unique to my day. I'm finding myself looking to incorporate that into my future career.

Each day I'm also trying to look for what I would like to do in at least my more immediate career... both major and minor factors. It's difficult to evaluate because I still give the usual "Iiiiii... dunno" shrug whenever someone asks me, but small pieces are coming in here and there. It doesn't seem that full-time rural life is in the cards... at least for now. In many ways I still like the academic life, exploring cities, and while the schizoid side of me enjoys the remoteness, being in a hub city makes travel much more accessible. These may seem like minor factors in the end, but they're something for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment