25 March 2013

Two macaroni and cheese curveballs-- CAULIFLOWER AND SPINACH

I love it when I have random ingredients in my fridge that need consuming.

I had originally bought a head of cauliflower in hopes of trying to make a mashed cauliflower one of these days hearing it's a pretty awesome substitute for mashed potatoes (credit: Courtney). I never got around to it. I also bought too much spinach at Costco recently. On an unrelated note, I saw one of the other residents eating mac and cheese for lunch the other day, so I had some hunger pangs for that.

Figure 1. Galaxies colliding
BOOM, galaxies collide and behold, a new creation!

Normally, I'd go with my go-to mac and cheese recipe but this variation is doable if you have a pack of instant mac and cheese lying around, preferably the white cheddar variety. Simply throw in some cauliflower when you're boiling the pasta, and do everything else the same. Bleach some spinach too and just throw it into the pasta/cauliflower mixture when you're combining it with the cheese. I grated some medium-old cheddar into it for good measure.


MMM, at least this comfort food has some nutrition in it now.

No comments:

Post a Comment