07 April 2013

Bands I'd highlight if I were going to coachella 2013...

As the days to coachella 2013 get closer, the excitement in the pop culture media, the music world, and my friend who are going are all reaching a head. In some ways, I'm getting a bit more glum because it's well organized festival and the atmosphere is unreal. Maybe I am just missing some heat and sunshine too.

Alas, it was not meant to be this year. Difficulty with scheduling, cost, and the depth for artists I've fond of wasn't there this year. Despite that, I'm starting to reflect some unexpected aspects of it were what made the experience awesome...

- An otherworldly atmosphere + being around great friends on what was a last hurrah of med school
- Reaffirming my love for a few artists -- Bon Iver, M83, Girl Talk. M. Ward (can you say guitar solo?), and Real Estate to name a few
- The most undexpected part was it was also a fantastic places to see artists live who I'd never suspect would hook me -such as Swedish House Mafia, Gotye, Fitz and the Tantrums, and The Head and the Heart. Of course, Tupac's hologram et al. put on a ridiculous show too.

OK... enough reminiscing!! In a way to cope, or maybe to be cruel to myself, I've compiled a list of artists I'd really go out of my way to see this year. Again, this is just my own taste,  but I think many of them are worth checking out if you're looking to see something new, or wanted to confirm your own hunches. So, trying to exclude the obvious...

Friday:
- Lou Reed
- Beach House
- Four Tet
- Alt-J******
- the Neighbourhood*****

Saturday:
- Sigur Ros - Do you like to gamble? This is a toss-up. Knowing their songs and seeing them live before this venue could go either really well or really badly for first-time listeners... but I still love them.
- Phoenix***** (obvious yes, but it kills me that I'm missing them live. Don't go home early on Saturday...)
- Grizzly Bear

Sunday:
- Tame Impala
- James Blake*****
- the Airborne Toxic Event
- Alex Clare
- Jessie Ware

Enjoy it, folks...

No comments:

Post a Comment