12 July 2013

Friday night music: some "hip hop jazz", versatile dream pop, and new but 'classic' JT

Hey folks, I know it's been a while but I've got a few gems for you.

The first band, who hails from Toronto, is, as Wikipedia puts it, "an instrumental hip hop jazz" group. That last sentence had a lot of commas. Anyways I heard them on the radio the other day on my drive to work and a quick Shazam later I find out who they are and am currently digging their stuff on bandcamp. They're called BADBADNOTGOOD, and in a way I wonder if it refers to their skills at using they keyboard because they clearly don't know how to turn off caps lock.
In some respects they remind me of the late J Dilla and of course they have that jazz element to them that I like. Of course I'm a fan of both of the aforementioned so it's not a surprise I'm currently trying to decide which album of theirs to buy first.



The second band I wanted to talk to today I actually heard from Aaron Paul, of Breaking Bad fame. They're a duo from the Big Apple who actually cut through a couple genres. Sky Barbarick's vocals fit the dream pop mold pretty well, but the accompanying instrumentals vary from a single guitar and percussion to a more electronic vibe that fits better in one of those downtown lounges. Either way, they sound great, especially for those clear summer nights when you're up late just chilling and chatting with friends over some drinks. Have a listen.




Lastly, JT is out with a new single from his 2nd part of his 20/20 Experience album... because having the highest selling album of the year so far wasn't enough. Some vintage JT here... that's what I like.

No comments:

Post a Comment